Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Iron Man Coeur d'Alane

I hope everyone back home is enjoying the fall weather, I know I definately miss being outdoors during this time of year, but I guess it will make me appreciate it that much more when I do get back for it. I hope those of you living in the upper midwest (southern MN) are not still sandbagging because of all of the water you got. Tanya and I saw video of Owatonna on Good Morning America and it did not look good. We are both doing well, very busy with school, swim lessons and for me training.

For those that may have not heard yet or not, I recently signed up for an Ironman Triathlon in Idaho. Those that know about Ironman triathlons probably think I am crazy and you might be right. A triathlon is a race consisting of swimming, biking, and running one right after another. Normal triathlons are not nearly as long as an Ironman. An Ironman triathlon consists of a 2.4mile swim, followed by a 112mile bike, then finishing with a 26.2mile (marathon) run. It takes fairly intense training to complete this type of a race, and again you still may be asking yourself why I would do this. Well it just so happens that my Athletic Director at school has completed in a couple Ironman triathlons, and convinced me to sign up for one as well. I am looking at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity, the time that it takes to train for a race like this is very time consuming, in fact my training schedule right now consists of getting up at 5a.m. every morning except Saturday to either run, bike, or swim. Fortunately I have the opportunity to train with someone who has already completed this type of race, and that has been and will be big help. I don't know if I will ever have the time to train for a race like this again and being in Abu Dhabi allows me to run, bike, and swim throughout the year, unlike I would be able to do in MN. I have always looked at individuals who have competed in races such as this and thought how cool it would be to actually do one, but never thought I would have the opportunity or even ability. So next year on June 26th, 2011 I will be competing in Ironman Couer d'Alene in Idaho. I will keep you updated as to how my training is going.

This link will take you to the Ironman Coeur d'Alene website: http://www.ironmancda.com/
(the area around Coeur d'Alene looks beautiful).

Take care and talk soon:)

1 comment: